Why CARE Nederland?
We are CARE Nederland
, part of CARE, an international development organisation active in more than 100 countries worldwide. Originating from American food aid to Europe after the Second World War, we have been committed for 77 years to those who need it most.
CARE supports people in the most difficult places in the world in building a better life. We fight poverty by combating inequality. We do this by providing emergency aid, working on equal rights for women and making communities resilient to the effects of climate change and natural disasters by supporting them in building a sustainable livelihood. Our approach is characterised by customisation: in consultation with local partners and residents, we determine what is needed and what works. After all, it is only together that we can achieve sustainable results.
CARE Nederland works with Project Teams. Within a Project Team, the Project Managers are responsible for the overall management of the projects. The Project Controllers are responsible for good financial management of the projects.
What will you be doing?
As a Project Controller, you will be responsible for:
- Contract management
- Donor compliance
- Monitoring and reporting of your own project portfolio (+/- 20 million euros)
- Know the story behind the figures and advise the Project Team on all budget issues
- Signal and investigate changes proactively, and work closely with Finance and Project Managers to manage the overall finances well
- Will ensure that the financial procedures/donor rules are respected
- Formulate the financial policy frameworks for the CARE Nederland programs and projects and ensure the generation of financial management information
As a Project Controller, you will act in the following areas:
1. Budget development (project proposal) and financial management (projects)
- In coordination with assigned Country Offices (CO) and in consultation with the Project/Program Manager from a financial perspective, be involved in the development of project proposals for donors
- Carries out risk analyses of country offices and evaluates financial management and results for this purpose
- Ultimately responsible for the financial management of project budgets up to and including final reports for the assigned portfolio
- Ensures proper preparation, guidance, and settlement of external audits, executed in The Netherlands and overseas
- Supervises budget and liquidity of own project portfolio. Carries out final checks on financial closures and prepares for administrative processing
- Indicates consequences of (changed) donor rules for the entire project portfolio and ensures compliance. Provide training and share knowledge within CARE NL and local country offices if necessary
- Coordinates with the Project/Program Managers and higher management of CARE NL and local country offices
2. Financial Quality
- Develops knowledge in the field of donor rules (EU/ECHO/BUZA), ensures compliance with these donor rules, and acts as a prompter for the organisation
- Responsible for capacity building and other support of country offices in such a way that the country offices themselves manage the programs financially and meet (donor) reporting requirements
- Indicates, on the basis of identified need, support, and training at country offices in the area of financial affairs and donor rules, agreements, and procedures
- Carries out project audits and takes care of follow-ups. Provides systematic analysis and tracking of audit results with the aim of achieving quality improvement
What do you bring to the table?
- BA required, MA preferred in lieu of degree, 5+ years of relevant experience in a business or accounting direction
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of at least 3 years in the field of financial management, project management and financial systems
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience of Office 365 and especially Excel
- Good knowledge of and experience with institutional donors (EC, ECHO, BUZA) and other donors (foundations, corporations, social enterprises)
- Excellent knowledge of English, both verbally and in writing; and preferably one or more other languages (French or Spanish)
- Intercultural sensitivity and communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Hands-on, proactive, and solution-oriented attitude
- Willing to further develop knowledge and expertise in this field
- Knowledge of and experience with contract management
- Willing to travel regularly
CARE maintains a zero tolerance policy on sexual exploitation and abuse and child abuse, and takes all concerns and complaints about sexual exploitation and abuse and child abuse involving CARE staff and related personnel seriously.
What does CARE Nederland offer?
- An interesting position where taking initiative is stimulated
- 1-year contract with possible extension
- A gross monthly salary based on BBRA scale 10 (€ 3.121,48 – € 4.969,11), classification depends on relevant working experience
- Informal organisation
- An international work environment in which you work with colleagues from different backgrounds to achieve the goals of CARE Nederland
- Open work culture characterised by an informal lunch group, weekly joint coffee moments, and annual staff outings
- Location in the bustling heart of The Hague and the possibility to partially work from home
Ready to apply?
Are you interested in this position and do you meet the profile sought? Please send your application (motivation of 1 A4 and your resume) using the button below. The deadline to respond to this vacancy is Thursday, March 30th 2023:
For more information, please contact Gijs Marsman, Manager of Finance & Control
- EU work permit is a requirement for this position
- We may contact applicants before the closing date
- As long as the vacancy is still visible, responding remains possible
- In case internal and external candidates have equal experience and qualifications, we will proceed with the internal candidate