Datum: 27-10-2021Tijd: 9.00 – 10.30 EDT/ 15.00 – 16.30hrs CESTLocatie: online
Women human rights defenders (WHRDs), peacebuilders, advocates for gender equality and other civil society leaders play a critical role in advancing peace, human rights and gender justice. Yet they are under attack for doing so.
In this session WHRDs will present their key recommendations for diplomatic missions to better protect their critical work in a gender responsive and transformative manner. They will highlight the specific protection needs that WHRDs have on 3 key areas:
- How can diplomatic missions support individual WHRDs’ physical, mental, and economic safety?
- How can diplomatic missions strengthen women’s rights organizations’ operational space and their resilience?
- How can diplomatic missions enhance the understanding of, familiarization with, and support for a diversity of women’s voices within the mission?
Aim of the event and audience:
Mission leads, staff and policy makers will gain insight in the gap between policy, protocols and practice. From WHRDs first hand, they will receive concrete ideas on how to bridge that gap and how to continue meaningful engagement with WHRDs.
09.00 – 09.05hrs EDT: Welcome by Yoka Brandt
, the Permanent Representative of the kingdom of
the Netherlands to the United Nations in New York
09.05 – 09.15hrs EDT: Introduction of the context: Why do WHRDs need specific protection
coordinator Women International Peace Center
09.15 – 10.00hrs EDT: Panel conversation on key recommendation for gender responsive and
transformative protection (introduced via prerecorded 1-minute
elevator pitches of (Y)WHRDs), in 3 key areas:
1. How can diplomatic missions support individual WHRDs’ physical,
mental, and economic safety?
2. How can diplomatic missions strengthen women’s rights
organizations’ operational space and their resilience?
3. How can diplomatic missions enhance the understanding of,
familiarization with, and support for a diversity of women’s
voices within the mission?
of Canada to the United Nations in New York Caecilia Wijgers
, Ambassador of the Netherlands to Afghanistan
Kenya LGBTQI+ Feminist Forum)
International Peace Center
10.00 - 10.20hrs EDT: Q&A’s with the panelists
International Relations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, The Netherlands
Moderated by Louise Allen, Global Gender, Peace and Security consultant
(Illustration by feminist artist Maitree Muzumdar)